Skip to main content

Test Your Code With Your User Stories - Behavior Driven Development

When we are designing a new system, one of the tools we use is user stories.  User stories allow us to define what the feature should do from the view point of the end user.  This way we take a user centered approach to designing the system.  These are also used as part of our functional testing when writing code (plugin, JavaScript, etc.) to make sure what was written matches the user story.  Even if we use Test Driven Development (TDD) we could easily miss some of the key functions within the feature and need to go back to our code to make changes and then restart our testing process.  This can be time consuming.  Wouldn't it be better to start our testing off with the user story?

With advancements in frameworks and technology we now have the capability to write test scripts directly from the user story using SpecFlow.  Taking this approach is known as Behavior Driven Development (BDD) because we are testing the users interactions instead of just data and functions.  This becomes even more important when we have to work with a UI. We can mimic button presses and navigation using other tools like Selenium and EasyRepro.

I am not going to go through an entire setup process as SpecFlow has done an awesome job documenting how to set it up in CRM.  Also Wael Hamze has provided some great examples in GitHub when using FakeXrmEasy and EasyRepro.


References:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dynamics Set IFrame URL - D365 v8 vs. D365 v9

While doing client work, I came across a problem with setting an IFrame URL dynamically.  The underlying issue was that the sandbox instance is on v8 of Dynamics 365 and production is on v9 of Dynamics 365.  The reason for this was because this client was setup around the time that Microsoft rolled out v9.  Anyways, JavaScript that I wrote to dynamically set the URL of the IFrame wasn't working in the v9 instance.  This was because of changes that Microsoft made to how IFrames are loaded on the form and also changes to JavaScript. Here is my v8 setup: JavaScript runs OnLoad of contact form.  This works because of how IFrames are loaded in v8.  You can also run it on either a tab change (hide / show) or OnReadyStateComplete event of the IFrame.  Depending on your setup you will need to choose which is best for you.  For me in this case it was the OnLoad event. Here is the JavaScript: function OnLoad() { //Get memberid var value = Xrm.Page.data.entity.attri

CRM Portals OnChange Event For DateTime

Occasionally when working with CRM Portals you may run into the need to get the OnChange event for a date time field.  Because of the way that CRM Portals renders date time fields this is slightly more complicated then working with text boxes, check boxes and pick lists.  During my process I ended up reaching out to Microsoft for help on this and below are the steps they provided to help me with this problem: 1) Click on the date time control 2) Press F12 3) In console type $('div.control') and hit enter (this will give you a list of div controls) 4) Locate the div control for the date time field 5) Go to the entity form or web page in CRM and add the following code snippet (replace the 2 with the number your div control is located at): 1: $(document).ready(function () 2: { 3: var dpcontrol = $('div.control')[2]; 4: $(dpcontrol).on("dp.change", function (e) 5: { 6: alert("On chang

HttpWebRequest For Scribe Online Api

Scribe has made it extremely easy to work with their API.  Currently, in my limited free time, I am working on a reusable C# library to send and receive data from Scribe's API.  Once it is completed for Version 1, I will list it to GitHub, so anyone can consume it and provide feedback on improvements.  There will be a fully built out wiki with how to consume the library with references to the Scribe API documentation.  Also there will be both TDD (Test Driven Development) and BDD (Behavior Driven Development) projects.  This way you can see examples of how to consume the library as well as what I tested before release.  If you are not familiar with BDD, I recommend you check out my blog post in my Dynamics 365 blog , that gives a high level overview of it. Anyways, back to what this post is about.  While working on the library, I came across one small issue around TLS 1.2 and making sure that the web request uses it.  Luckily, this is really easy to set in C#, when using .NET 4.