Skip to main content

SCRIBE Online April 2018 Update is Here!!!

On April 6th, 2018 Scribe released an update to SCRIBE Online.  You can read all the details of the changes here.  In this post about the update, I want to go over some of the stuff I have seen while working with this new update, and it's an AMAZING update to the platform.  Here are my highlights:

  • Performance - There does appear to be improvement to how well the platform functions in Chrome (Chrome is my primary browser).  Previously, I did have some performance issues in Chrome and on larger map's I would have to dump my cache or exit chrome and re-launch to speed it back up again (not always the case, but did need done from time to rime).  This appears to be eliminated for me.  I can clearly see marked improvements when it comes to lag and performance. *See bullet point 4 under Platform which is under Enhancements.
  • Agent Request Logs - Users now have the ability to request the logs from the agent without logging into the server where the agent is installed to get them.  Simple go to the agent in Scribe Online and click on the gear that will appear on the right side of the agent table.  Click on "Request Logs".  This will download a zip file with the logs for you to review. *See Agents section. 
  • Revision History - At the bottom of each mapping you will see a "Revision Comment" box.  While working on a mapping you can insert a comment into this box to log what you are updating on the map.  Every time you click "Apply" of "Ok" to save the map, a revision is stored.  This way if you need to go back and restore a previous revision you can.  To view the revision history go to the map in your solution and click on the gear to the right of your map and look for "Revisions"  I will do a more detailed blog post on this one in the future. * See Maps Section.
  • Debugging - This was a bug that I ran into previously.  In previous release when debugging sometimes the block wouldn't enter where the error happens.  This could cause confusion as to what the problem was.  Also the error when this happened wouldn't appear.  This bug has been squashed.  Debugging is working like a charm and errors are properly appearing and making it really easy to figure out what is happening when debugging a map. * See Debug Section
There are a lot of bug fixes and enhancements in this release.  What I highlighted in this post is only a small amount of what is involved in this release.  These are the ones that I choose to highlight as they are perhaps the most notable and easily recognizable by people using the platform.  Again, for a complete list of bug fixes and enhancements, head over to the SCRIBE Success Community and check out the release notes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Validating User Input In CRM Portals With JavaScript

When we are setting up CRM Portals to allow customers to update their information, open cases, fill out an applications, etc. We want to make sure that we are validating their input before it is committed to CRM.  This way we ensure that our data is clean and meaningful to us and the customer. CRM Portals already has a lot validation checks built into it. But, on occasion we need to add our own.  To do this we will use JavaScript to run the validation and also to output a message to the user to tell them there is an issue they need to fix. Before we can do any JavaScript, we need to check and see if we are using JavaScript on an Entity Form or Web Page.  This is because the JavaScript, while similar, will be different.  First, we will go over the JavaScript for Entity Forms.  Then, we will go over the JavaScript for Web Pages.  Finally, we will look at the notification JavaScript. Entity Form: if (window.jQuery) { (function ($) { if (typeof (entityFormClientVali

Dynamics Set IFrame URL - D365 v8 vs. D365 v9

While doing client work, I came across a problem with setting an IFrame URL dynamically.  The underlying issue was that the sandbox instance is on v8 of Dynamics 365 and production is on v9 of Dynamics 365.  The reason for this was because this client was setup around the time that Microsoft rolled out v9.  Anyways, JavaScript that I wrote to dynamically set the URL of the IFrame wasn't working in the v9 instance.  This was because of changes that Microsoft made to how IFrames are loaded on the form and also changes to JavaScript. Here is my v8 setup: JavaScript runs OnLoad of contact form.  This works because of how IFrames are loaded in v8.  You can also run it on either a tab change (hide / show) or OnReadyStateComplete event of the IFrame.  Depending on your setup you will need to choose which is best for you.  For me in this case it was the OnLoad event. Here is the JavaScript: function OnLoad() { //Get memberid var value = Xrm.Page.data.entity.attri

Report Authoring Extension Updated To Support Visual Studio 2019

 FINALLY, Microsoft has pushed an update to the Report Authoring Extension for Dynamics 365 to allow for use of Visual Studio 2019.  This update went live on 12/18/2020 and can be found here .  Installing won't be straight forward into Visual Studio 2019, even if you install everything when you first installed it.  This is because SSDT (SQL Server Data Tools) is installed but, SSAS, SSIS and SSRS are all separate modules for SSDT that you have to install separately.  While you should be fine with just installing SSRS to make this work, I would recommend just installing all 3 parts.   All of these can be found in Microsoft documentation .  In the "Install SSDT with Visual Studio 2019" section, you will see a link to the marketplace where you can download the extensions and install them.  Once that is done, download the Report Authoring Extension and run the installer.  That is it, you can now work on SSRS within Visual Studio 2019 for Microsoft Dynamics.