Skip to main content

Using SCRIBE Online to Migrate Opportunities Into Microsoft Dynamics 365

  Recently while creating map's for a data migration from a legacy system to Microsoft Dynamics 365 using SCRIBE Online, I found that I needed to bring in Opportunities.  Anyone that has worked with CRM for a time, know's that migrating closed opportunities into CRM can be a bit of a pain.  I was having one issue in particular when bring this data in, the actual close date was being set to the day the record was migrated into CRM.  This is because of how CRM handles opportunities when they are closed.

Here is what I was doing:
  1. I performed all my look ups first to get the associated account and contact from CRM.
  2. I created the opportunity with the closed status of won or lost (see links below for website to get the standard values for reference).
  3. This makes the opportunity as read only (which I expected to have happen.  But, the actual close date was set for the day the record was created.  Even though I provided a date in the actual close date field.
Why is this happening?
     This happens because when you close an opportunity in CRM, it creates an opportunity close activity.  Doing an advance find I was able to locate this record and the actual value and actual close dates where blank.  Keep in mind, my mapping didn't create this record.  CRM created it when the status of the opportunity was set to one of the closed status (won or lost).

How do we over come this?
    The way to over come this is really simple.  It was a post in the SCRIBE forums on how to do this with SCRIBE Insight that helped me come up with the way to do it with SCRIBE Online.  Here is the solution:
  1. Create the opportunity with the close status you want (won or lost).  This will make it read only.  Don't worry about that.
  2. I recommend doing an if else block after the create opportunity step.  This way if you are bring in open opportunities you the if else will be skipped.  We want to enter the if statement only if we have have a closed opportunity.
  3. Inside our if else, we want to do a lookup to get the opportunity we just created.
  4. After our lookup do a delete block against the opportunity close table.  Use the opportunity id in the matching criteria.
  5. After the delete we want to do a create opportunity close and populate it with the actual close date and actual revenue.
  6. Finally, do an update block to the original opportunity and populate the actual close date and actual revenue.  Even though the record is read only, it will update these fields.
Screenshot:

Helpful Links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

XrmToolBox Bulk Attachment Manager - Version 2018.2.2.7 Released!

Today I have published version 2018.2.2.7 of my XrmToolBox plugin.  The purpose of this plugin is to make it easy to download and backup attachments in CRM.  This release is a major release as it is the first built version with all pieces working.  The first version only had note downloads working.

Overview of Plugin:
Current Version: 2018.2.2.7Purpose: Download Attachments and E-Mail attachmentsGitHub Link.GitHub Wiki Link.Nuget Package Link.How To Use The Tool: Launch XRMToolBox.Connect to organization.Step 1, choose what you want to download. (Once a choice is made, Step 2 becomes usable)Notes - Download attachments from note entity.E-Mail - Download attachments from emails.Both - Downloads attachments from notes and emails entities.Step 2, choose if you want to download all attachments in the system or specific attachments.  All Attachments - This will search the chosen entity to find all records that have an attachment and download them.Click on "Browse" and choose where t…

Dynamics Set IFrame URL - D365 v8 vs. D365 v9

While doing client work, I came across a problem with setting an IFrame URL dynamically.  The underlying issue was that the sandbox instance is on v8 of Dynamics 365 and production is on v9 of Dynamics 365.  The reason for this was because this client was setup around the time that Microsoft rolled out v9.  Anyways, JavaScript that I wrote to dynamically set the URL of the IFrame wasn't working in the v9 instance.  This was because of changes that Microsoft made to how IFrames are loaded on the form and also changes to JavaScript.

Here is my v8 setup:
JavaScript runs OnLoad of contact form.  This works because of how IFrames are loaded in v8.  You can also run it on either a tab change (hide / show) or OnReadyStateComplete event of the IFrame.  Depending on your setup you will need to choose which is best for you.  For me in this case it was the OnLoad event.Here is the JavaScript: function OnLoad() { //Get memberid var value = Xrm.Page.data.entity.attributes.get…

Updated To Version 1.7 - Azure Blob Storage For Storing Microsoft Dynamics 365 Attachments

In another post I talked about using Azure Blob Storage to store CRM attachments in Azure rather then in CRM.  Today I installed the app in a clients CRM system and found that Microsoft Labs updated the App to version 1.7.  This change had a lot of updates from UI to how to setup notes attachment movement.  Also they now allow for moving of existing attachments.  Here is the updated steps:

1) Go To AppSource
2) Install the Attachment Management App by clicking the "Get It Now" button under the image.
3) While its installing go to Azure and setup your blob storage account.
4) For each CRM instance you will need to setup 2 containers in your blob storage.  One is for email attachments and the other is for notes attachments.  So if you have a production instance and sandbox instance you will need to have 4 containers (DevEmails, DevNotes, ProdEmails, ProdNotes).  If you want to separate note attachments by entity, then create one container per entity.  The DevNotes or ProdNote…