Skip to main content

JavaScript to Allow Updating Specific Fields Post Record complete.

 Recently for a client I was given the requirement that they needed to update a custom field on activity records whether it was a completed record or not.  The problem when a record is completed, it is in read only status and users can't update the record easily, with minimal clicks.  To solve this business requirement, I wrote two JavaScript libraries.

1) UnlockFieldsOnLoad - This is the function you should list any field that you want to unlock if the record is in complete (read only status).  This function should run on load of the form and will unlock the fields so they can be updated.

2) OnChangeUnlockedFields - This function is what will do the save when the field(s) are updated.  What it does it check to see if the record is in a read only status.  If if it is, it will make the record active again.  After it makes the record activate again, it will write the change to the database, change the status back to the original status and save that change.

 function UnlockFieldsOnLoad(executionContext)  
 {  
   var formContext = executionContext.getFormContext();   
   formContext.getControl("fieldname").setDisabled(false);  
 }  
 //Saves field value if form is read only.  
 function OnChangeUnlockedFields(executionContext)  
 {  
   var formContext = executionContext.getFormContext();  
   var stateCodeValue = formContext.getAttribute("statecode").getValue()  
   //We only want this JS to run if the record is in read only mode. 1=Completed, 2=Canceled  
   if(stateCodeValue === 1 || stateCodeValue === 2)  
   {  
     //Reactivate the record  
     formContext.getAttribute("statecode").setValue(0);   
     formContext.data.save(6).then(function ()  
     {  
       //Complete Record again  
       formContext.getAttribute("statecode").setValue(stateCodeValue);   
       formContext.data.save();  
     });  
   }  
 }  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dynamics Set IFrame URL - D365 v8 vs. D365 v9

While doing client work, I came across a problem with setting an IFrame URL dynamically.  The underlying issue was that the sandbox instance is on v8 of Dynamics 365 and production is on v9 of Dynamics 365.  The reason for this was because this client was setup around the time that Microsoft rolled out v9.  Anyways, JavaScript that I wrote to dynamically set the URL of the IFrame wasn't working in the v9 instance.  This was because of changes that Microsoft made to how IFrames are loaded on the form and also changes to JavaScript. Here is my v8 setup: JavaScript runs OnLoad of contact form.  This works because of how IFrames are loaded in v8.  You can also run it on either a tab change (hide / show) or OnReadyStateComplete event of the IFrame.  Depending on your setup you will need to choose which is best for you.  For me in this case it was the OnLoad event. Here is the JavaScript: function OnLoad() { //Get memberid var value = Xrm.Page.data.entity.attri

HttpWebRequest For Scribe Online Api

Scribe has made it extremely easy to work with their API.  Currently, in my limited free time, I am working on a reusable C# library to send and receive data from Scribe's API.  Once it is completed for Version 1, I will list it to GitHub, so anyone can consume it and provide feedback on improvements.  There will be a fully built out wiki with how to consume the library with references to the Scribe API documentation.  Also there will be both TDD (Test Driven Development) and BDD (Behavior Driven Development) projects.  This way you can see examples of how to consume the library as well as what I tested before release.  If you are not familiar with BDD, I recommend you check out my blog post in my Dynamics 365 blog , that gives a high level overview of it. Anyways, back to what this post is about.  While working on the library, I came across one small issue around TLS 1.2 and making sure that the web request uses it.  Luckily, this is really easy to set in C#, when using .NET 4.

Updated To Version 1.7 - Azure Blob Storage For Storing Microsoft Dynamics 365 Attachments

In another post I talked about using Azure Blob Storage to store CRM attachments in Azure rather then in CRM.  Today I installed the app in a clients CRM system and found that Microsoft Labs updated the App to version 1.7.  This change had a lot of updates from UI to how to setup notes attachment movement.  Also they now allow for moving of existing attachments.  Here is the updated steps: 1) Go To AppSource 2) Install the Attachment Management App by clicking the "Get It Now" button under the image. 3) While its installing go to Azure and setup your blob storage account. 4) For each CRM instance you will need to setup 2 containers in your blob storage.  One is for email attachments and the other is for notes attachments.  So if you have a production instance and sandbox instance you will need to have 4 containers (DevEmails, DevNotes, ProdEmails, ProdNotes).  If you want to separate note attachments by entity, then create one container per entity.  The DevNotes or Pr