On October 26th, 2017 SCRIBE pushed out the fall update to SCRIBE Online. One of the first changes I took notice of was the "Find & Replace" feature. For those who are not aware, in the past when importing a map backup (JSON or XML) into a different environment to use it as a template you would need to rename connections. This required going into the JSON or XML file to do it in bulk. For someone not versed in either, this could be an intimidating task. Well, SCRIBE has made this task even easier and in my opinion even safer.
First, if you don't see the "Find & Replace' in your mapping, please clear your cache of your browser and then close it. Reopen your browser and you should see it now. If you are still don't see it or see error messages, check out this troubleshooting article SCRIBE posted that can help.
When clicking on the Find and replace you will see the following:
- Find - Input the string that you wish to search for.
- .* - Toggles the ability to use the "Options" area.
- Replace - Input the string you wish to use in place of the string in the find field.
- Replace Button - Execute the replace on the chosen record results.
- Select All - Chooses all results for bulk replace
- Search Section - Filter where you want to look for the string. Use the Exp/Map/Filters to find the string within your attribute fields.
- Options Section - Used if you are not 100% sure of the string and need to find strings similar to it.
- Casing Section - Specify if the letter casing should be considered in the find or not.
In the little map I created to test out this new function I used the account entity in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. I wanted to find all attribute level connections that contained the word "account" but I didn't want it to return my query. Here is the find with results:
Using replace to simulate changing the connection to a new account source block (i.e. lookup but wanting to maintain the same level mapping.) - Single record:
What I did in the above image was input my replace text in the replace input field and then selected the record in blue. I then clicked on the replace button. What you can see is that it only replaced the "account" string on that one record but not the others. Next, we will look at the bulk replace:
In the above image you can see that all "account" strings have been replaced. This was done by holding the "CTRL" key and selecting multiple records. But wait, there is the "Select All" next to the replace button. Well, because I had already changed the highlight record above before the other 4, I didn't want to update it again. In this scenario had I used the "Select All" it would have changed it to "accountLookupLookup", which is not what I wanted.
I hope you found this helpful. Please read SCRIBE's full Release Notes on the Fall 2017 update.